What’s your cupcake personality?
If you choose Gluten Free Mexican Hot Chocolate, your Cupcake Personality is: The Traveler
The Traveler: You’ve been around the world, but, to you, there’s no place like home. On the surface, you might seem plain and predictable, but there’s an adventurous side to you, too… it just takes a little prodding to discover. You don’t show all of your cards at once, but once people get to know you, they can’t wait to see what else you’re hiding. You’re full of surprises.
Gluten Free Mexican Hot Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Cinnamon Frosting Recipe
Mexican Hot Chocolate Cupcake and Ganache Filling Recipes
Yield: 12 cupcakes
Recipe Credit: Jeanine over at Gluten Free blog www.thebakingbeauties.com.
1/2 cup granulated sugar 125 mL
1/4 cup brown sugar 60 mL
1/3 cup brown rice flour 75 mL
1/3 cup millet flour 75 mL
1/3 cup tapioca flour 75 mL
1/3 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder 75 mL
1 1/2 tsp baking powder 7 mL
1/2 tsp baking soda 2 mL
1/2 tsp xanthan gum 2 mL
1/2 tsp salt 2 mL
1/2 tsp cinnamon 2 mL
1/2 cup strong coffee, room temperature 125 mL
1/2 cup sour cream 125 mL
1/2 cup canola oil 125 mL
3 large eggs, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract 5 mL
Ganache Filling Ingredients:
2 ounces (60 grams) semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
1/4 cup heavy cream 60 mL
1 Tbsp honey 15 mL
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon 1 mL
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper 0.5 mL
- Line one muffin pan with paper liners. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a medium bowl, combine sugars, flours, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, salt and cinnamon. Mix well. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together coffee, sour cream, canola oil, eggs and vanilla extract. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Beat until well combined, about 1 minute.
- Divide cupcake batter into the paper lined muffin pan 2/3 full. Bake cupcakes for approximately 20 – 22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cupcakes comes out clean. Remove cupcakes from pan and cool completely on wire rack.
- To make Ganache filling: In a microwave safe bowl, combine chocolate, heavy cream, honey, cinnamon and cayenne pepper. Microwave in 30 second intervals (50% power), until the chocolate has melted. Stir until the mixture is smooth & silky.
- Refrigerate the ganache filling for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
- Using an apple corer or a paring knife, remove the middle of the cupcakes, being sure to leave the bottom of the cupcake intact. Place the ganache into a re-sealable bag snip off the corner, and pipe into the hollowed out cupcakes.
- Frost with Chocolate Cinnamon Frosting. Recipe follows.
Note: If you wish to make this recipe using all-purpose flour you would need to:
-Remove the brown rice flour, millet flour and tapioca flour and replace with 1 cup all-purpose flour,
-Remove the xanthan gum and
-Decrease the baking powder from 1 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp.
Chocolate Cinnamon Frosting Recipe
2 cups confectioner’s sugar 500 mL
3/4 cup canola margarine 175 mL
1/2 cup cocoa powder, sifted 125 mL
1/2 cup light corn syrup 125 mL
¼ tsp salt 1 mL
6 ounces (180 grams) chocolate, melted & cooled (dark, semi-sweet, or milk)
cayenne pepper for sprinkling on top of the cupcakes, optional
- In a large bowl, beat together the margarine, confectioner’s sugar, cocoa powder, corn syrup, and salt, scraping down the bowl as necessary.
- Add the cooled, melted chocolate, and beat until fully incorporated. Pipe onto prepared cupcakes.
- Refrigerate cupcakes in an air-tight container for up to 3 days.