- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (625 mL)
- 1/2 tsp salt (2 mL)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder (2 mL)
- 2/3 cup canola oil, chilled in freezer for 2 hours* see note below (150 mL)
- 1/2 cup ice water (125 mL)
- 1 egg, beaten slightly (1 )
- 1 Tbsp vinegar (15 mL)
- In a food processor, add flour, salt, and baking powder. Pulse once or twice to combine ingredients.
- Add cold/frozen canola oil. Pulse again once or twice.
- Combine water, egg and vinegar in a small bowl.
- With food processor running, pour liquid ingredients through the chute. Turn off machine as soon as ingredients are mixed, about 10 seconds.
- Turn dough out onto floured board. Divide dough in half. Roll out dough on floured surface.
- Use immediately or wrap each dough ball in plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use.
Note: Can be used as a sweet or savory pie dough pastry.
*canola oil can be frozen overnight.
Pie Dough Pastry
This cool pie dough pastry is easy for any baker to make! No need for pastry knives, just freeze the pre-measured canola oil the night before. The frozen oil acts like a solid fat but with all the health benefits of canola oil, low in saturated fat and trans-fat free. You can use the dough for sweet or savory fillings. It’s just like Grandma’s but better!
- Serving Size
- 1 slice
- 8 slices
- Total Fat
- 12 g
- Saturated Fat
- 1 g
- 10 mg
- 130 mg
- 21 g
- 2 g
- 5 g