- 1 1/2 Tbsp canola oil (20 mL)
- 1 Tbsp orange juice (15 mL)
- 1 Tbsp white wine vinegar (15 mL)
- 1 tsp sesame oil (5 mL)
- 1 Tbsp honey (15 mL)
- 1 Tbsp orange zest (15 mL)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp fresh ginger finely grated (20 mL)
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard (5 mL)
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper (1 mL)
- 1 large chayote unpeeled, cut into thin strips* (1)
- 2 cups spinach (500 mL)
- 1 red bell pepper seeds removed, cut into strips (1)
- 2 oranges peeled and cut into segments (2)
- 1/4 small red onion finely chopped (1/4)
- In a small bowl, whisk together canola oil, orange juice, vinegar, sesame oil, honey, orange zest, ginger, mustard and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix chayote, spinach, bell pepper, orange segments and onion.
- Pour vinaigrette over salad, toss and serve.
Tip: *You can substitute chayote with an Asian pear or a green apple.
Crisp Salad with Chayote and Orange
Chayote fruit are grown in warmer climates such as Mexico. They are mild in flavour with a crisp texture. Canola oil lets the vinaigrette's lively taste come to the forefront. Recipe courtesy of CanolaInfo.
- Serving Size
- 1 1/4 cup (300 mL)
- Total Fat
- 7 g
- Saturated Fat
- 0.5 g
- 0 mg
- 55 mg
- 23 g
- 5 g
- 16 g
- 2 g
- 350 mg