1 package of wonton wrappers (400 g)
½ lb peeled, deveined shrimp, chopped (225 g)
½ lb lean ground pork (225 g)
2 Tbsp dried shrimp (30 mL)/(10 g)
1 green onion, chopped (1)
1 Tbsp oyster sauce (15 mL)
½ Tbsp cornstarch (7 mL)
1 ½ Tbsp water (22 mL)
1 tsp low-sodium soy sauce (5 mL)
1/8 tsp ground pepper (0.5 mL)
4 cups canola oil for frying (enough to cover wontons) (1 L)
2 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce (30 mL)
2 Tbsp oyster sauce (30 mL)
2 Tbsp hoisin sauce (30 mL)
2 Tbsp sesame oil (30 mL)
2 tsp Sriracha hot chili sauce (10 mL)
green onions, thinly sliced
- In a small pot, place dried shrimp and just enough water to cover (about ½ cup/ 125 mL) and bring to a boil on high heat. Turn down heat to medium-high and simmer until water has mostly evaporated (about 5-10 minutes). Strain and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together soy sauce, oyster sauce, hoisin sauce, sesame oil and Sriracha and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine shrimp, pork, green onion, oyster sauce, soy sauce and ground pepper.
- Once dried shrimp has cooled, chop finely and add to mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and water until smooth and add to mixing bowl. Mix all ingredients thoroughly.
- On a clean surface, place a wonton wrapper diagonally adding 1 heaping tsp (6 mL) of filling to the centre. Wet the bottom corner of the wonton wrapper with water and fold it up to the opposite corner into a triangle shape. Press the edges together to seal. Wet two sides of triangle with water and bring them together, pressing firmly to join. Create wontons until all wonton mixture is gone.
Deep Fried Wontons
- In a large pot or deep fryer bring canola oil up to temperature on medium-high heat (about 350 F/ 163 C). Once the oil is at temperature, gently immerse 10 wontons in oil and cook for about 2 ½ minutes or until golden brown; flip once. With a slotted metal spoon, remove wontons and place on a plate lined with paper towel. Blot excess oil from cooked wontons. Repeat until all wontons are cooked.
- To coat in sauce, place cooked wontons in a stainless steel bowl, add sauce and gently toss.
- Place wontons in serving bowl, garnish with chopped cilantro, green onions and enjoy!
Crispy Hakka Wontons
Inspired by the cuisine of the Hakka people of China, these simple and tasty wontons will be a sure hit with family and friends. A crispy-fried outside and juicy shrimp and pork centre provide tons of flavour. Toss these morsels in our sauce and your party will be complete! A big thanks to Chef Nick Liu of Dalio Restaurant in Toronto, ON, for inspiring this make-it-at-home version of his secret family recipe!
- Serving Size
- 3 wontons
- Total Fat
- 7.2 g
- Saturated Fat
- 1.3 g
- 39 mg
- 381 mg
- 15.7 g
- 0.8 g
- 2.3 g
- 7.7 g
- 127 mg