2 Tbsp canola oil, divided (30 mL)
3 shallots, roughly chopped (3)
2 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped (2)
1 red pepper cut into 1/4 inch (1 cm) pieces (1)
1 large green chilli pepper with seeds, diced (1)
4 on-the-vine tomatoes cut into 24 pieces each (4)
1/2 cup water (125 mL)
1 Tbsp ground chipotle chilli pepper (15 mL)
1 tsp salt (5 mL)
1/4 tsp ground black pepper (1 mL)
1 cup black beans, drained and rinsed (250 mL)
8 oz Leftover Holiday Turkey (250g)
6 tortillas (6)
4 eggs (4)
3 Tbsp crumbled queso fresco (45 mL)
1/4 cup chopped cilantro (60 mL)
2 Tbsp sour cream (30 mL)
- Place a medium-sized frying pan over high heat. When pan is hot, add 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil.
- Once oil is hot, add shallots and garlic and allow to sweat for 1 minute, stirring continuously.
- Add red pepper and green chilli pepper to pan and cook for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and water to pan. Season with salt, ground chipotle chilli pepper and ground black pepper.
- Reduce to medium heat and cook down for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in black beans and turkey. Reduce to low heat and simmer while you cook your eggs.
- In another medium sized frying pan, lightly toast tortillas on both sides over medium-high heat.
- After tortillas have been toasted, reduce pan to medium heat and add 1 Tbsp of canola oil (15 mL). Crack eggs into pan and fry sunny-side up, about 4 minutes.
- Arrange tortillas on plate and place eggs directly in the middle.
- Spoon cooked salsa around the eggs and over tortilla.
- Top with crumbled queso fresco, fresh chopped cilantro and a drizzle of sour cream.
This is a spicy dish! If you want to cool it down a bit try adding more sour cream and queso fresco or using only half of the green chili pepper!
Turkey leftovers - coming to your fridge very soon! The master of brunch, turned those delicious leftovers into Huevos Rancheros! Recipe courtesy Chef Matt Basile of Fidel Gastro's.
- 4-6 people
- Serving Size
- 1 tortilla
- Total Fat
- 17.3 g
- Saturated Fat
- 4.3 g
- 190 mg
- 802 mg
- 35.8 g
- 6.7 g
- 4.7 g
- 24.3 g
- 766 mg