- 2 cups brown, red or green lentils (500 mL)
- 2 Tbsp canola oil (30 mL)
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds (2 mL)
- 1 small onion (1)
- 1 tsp finely chopped ginger (5 mL)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder (5 mL)
- 1 tsp chili powder (5 mL)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (2 mL)
- 2-3 tomatoes diced (2-3)
- Soak and cook lentils in sufficient water to cover, until tender (about 20 minutes).
- In a medium skillet over medium high heat add canola oil and heat. Add in the cumin seeds and watch not to burn the seeds. Add onions, ginger, turmeric, chili powder, cinnamon and sauté. Allow to cook slowly over medium heat.
- Add in tomato. Stir to combine. Allow flavors to combine over med-low heat for another few minutes.
- Add lentils to skillet and mix well. Heat through.
Dhal, a thick stew made with pulses is flavourful and aromatic. Don’t be intimidated to make this at home with your choice of brown, red or green lentils, onions and tomato. The flavour comes from a combination of cumin seeds, ginger, tumeric, and chili. It might just become your new lentil recipe.