- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (125 mL)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (60 mL)
- 1/3 cup brown rice flour (75 mL)
- 1/3 cup millet flour (75 mL)
- 1/3 cup tapioca flour (75 mL)
- 1/3 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder (75 mL)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder (7 mL)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda (2 mL)
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum (2 mL)
- 1/2 tsp salt (2 mL)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (2 mL)
- 1/2 cup strong coffee room temperature (125 mL)
- 1/2 cup sour cream (125 mL)
- 1/2 cup canola oil (125 mL)
- 3 large eggs room temperature (3)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 oz semi-sweet chocolate chopped (60 g)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (60 mL)
- 1 Tbsp honey (15 mL)
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon (1 mL)
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (0.5 mL)
Chocolate Cinnamon Frosting
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar (500 mL)
- 3/4 cup canola margarine (175 mL)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder sifted (125 mL)
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup (125 mL)
- 1/4 tsp salt (1 mL)
- 6 oz chocolate melted & cooled (dark, semi-sweet, or milk) (180 g)
- cayenne pepper for sprinkling on top of the cupcakes optional
- Line one muffin pan with paper liners. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a medium bowl, combine sugars, flours, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, salt and cinnamon. Mix well. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together coffee, sour cream, canola oil, eggs and vanilla extract. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Beat until well combined, about 1 minute.
- Divide cupcake batter into the paper lined muffin pan 2/3 full. Bake cupcakes for approximately 20 – 22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cupcakes comes out clean. Remove cupcakes from pan and cool completely on wire rack.
- To make Ganache filling: In a microwave safe bowl, combine chocolate, heavy cream, honey, cinnamon and cayenne pepper. Microwave in 30 second intervals (50% power), until the chocolate has melted. Stir until the mixture is smooth & silky.
- Refrigerate the ganache filling for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
- Using an apple corer or a paring knife, remove the middle of the cupcakes, being sure to leave the bottom of the cupcake intact. Place the ganache into a re-sealable bag snip off the corner, and pipe into the hollowed out cupcakes.
- Frost with Chocolate Cinnamon Frosting. Recipe follows.
Chocolate Cinnamon Frosting
- In a large bowl, beat together the margarine, confectioner’s sugar, cocoa powder, corn syrup, and salt, scraping down the bowl as necessary.
- Add the cooled, melted chocolate, and beat until fully incorporated. Pipe onto prepared cupcakes.
- Refrigerate cupcakes in an air-tight container for up to 3 days.
Mexican Hot Chocolate Cupcakes
These Mexican Hot Chocolate Cupcakes are truly a chocolate lover’s dream. You’ll get the rich tastes of coffee and chocolate in every bite. The ganache cupcake filling made of semi-sweet chocolate and a pinch of cayenne pepper adds a hint of spice. They are topped off with a third dose of chocolate in the chocolate cinnamon frosting. Plus, they’re gluten-free! Baking with canola oil has its health benefits. Canola oil is light, doesn’t interfere with other flavours and reduces the trans and saturated fats in your baking, making it a heart healthy choice.
- Serving Size
- 1 cupcake with icing
- Total Fat
- 32 g
- Saturated Fat
- 9 g
- 60 mg
- 390 mg
- 79 g
- 3 g
- 5 g