- 2 cups sugar (500 mL)
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour (425 mL)
- 3/4 cup cocoa (175 mL)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder (7 mL)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda (7 mL)
- 1 tsp salt (5 mL)
- 2 eggs (2)
- 1 cup buttermilk* (250 mL)
- 1 tsp vanilla (5 mL)
- 1/2 cup canola oil (250 mL)
- 1 cup hot water (250 mL) with 2 Tbsp instant coffee crystals disolved into it (30 mL)
- 1/2 cup crushed candy canes (125 mL)
- 2 cups confectioner’s sugar (500 mL)
- 1/4 cup canola margarine (60 mL)
- 1 tsp peppermint extract (5 mL)
- 2-4 Tbsp milk (30-60 mL)
- 2 squares unsweetened chocolate, melted and slightly cooled (2)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened (125 mL)
- 1 tsp vanilla (5 mL)
- 4 cups confectioner’s sugar (1 L)
- 1/3 cup milk (plus extra if needed) (75 mL)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Line a 12-cup muffing tin with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, sift together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl, mix with an electric mixer the eggs, buttermilk, vanilla, canola oil. Add on water and coffee mixture and mix until very smooth. The batter will seem very runny, but they will be fine.
- Fill cupcake liners ¾ full and bake in preheated oven for 22-27 minutes. Allow to fully cool before filling. *if you don’t have any buttermilk, just use milk and add 2 tsp white vinegar (10 mL); set aside for 5 minutes to curdle.
- Mix all ingredients in a small bowl. Fill a pastry bag or injection icing tool (as shown) with filling. Insert tip into centre of cupcake, swirling around a bit to make a cavity. Inject with filling until it appears at the surface and cavity is full. Repeat with all cupcakes.
Chocolate Buttercream and Assemble
- Melt chocolate in a small bowl in 30 second intervals in the microwave. Let cool a bit. In a large bowl cream butter with electric mixer, mix in cooled chocolate and vanilla. Add confectioner’s sugar and milk, whip until very smooth.
- Frost the top of each filled cupcake with a pastry bag and tip or by hand with a knife. Sprinkle crushed candy canes on top and serve.
Peppermint-Filled Dark Chocolate Cupcakes
Who doesn’t love the combination of dark chocolate and mint? Let’s combine that perfect combo – and candy canes – into the perfect dessert that is pretty and has a minty surprise inside! But don't over fill! Recipe courtesy of EatInEatOut.
- 12 Cupcakes
- Serving Size
- 1 cupcake
- Total Fat
- 24.3 g
- Saturated Fat
- 7.4 g
- 55 mg
- 573 mg
- 119.5 g
- 2.6 g
- 109 g
- 5.6 g
- 230 mg