Make A Cake and Eat It Too!
Cake is always better with friends so we’ve teamed up with EatIn EatOut to bring you decadent cakes for the holidays.
Impress your guests and serve Dark Chocolate-Orange Cake with Salted Caramel Drizzle (recipe below).
If you love cake as much as we do sign up to be part of the EatIn EatOut Insiders Club and get a cake of the month right to your inbox.
For the icing on the cake, as an Insiders Club member you get; a free subscription to their online magazine, automated entries into their contests and complimentary eCookbooks.
Stay tuned at www.canolaeatwell.com as we share a cake a week in the month of December courtesy of EatIn EatOut. Trust me, it will be cake, cake and more glorious cake!
Dark Chocolate-Orange Cake with Salted Caramel Drizzle
Recipe reprinted with permission from www.eatineatout.ca
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (natural or Dutch process)
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3 large eggs, room temperature
3/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup sour cream
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup orange marmalade
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat two 9-inch round pans with cooking spray and line bottoms with parchment paper.
2. Whisk cocoa with 1-1/2 cups boiling water in a medium bowl until smooth, set aside.
3. Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, soda and salt in a large bowl of a until well combined.
4. Add eggs, canola oil, sour cream and vanilla. Beat with a mixer on medium speed for about 1 minutes until smooth.
5. Reduce mixer speed to low and add cocoa mixture in a slow stream until just combined. Scrape down sides and give a few turns with a spatula. Batter will be thin.
6. Divide batter between the pans, tapping on counter to release any bubbles. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
7. Cool on racks.
Slice each layer in half to make 4 layers. Place 1 layer on a cake plate and spread with 2 TBSP orange marmalade. Repeat with other layers. Cover the whole cake with Chocolate Whipped Cream Frosting (recipe below) and drizzle with Salted Caramel (recipe below).
CHOCOLATE WHIPPED CREAM ICING:
In a small mixer bowl, combine 2 cups 35% whipping cream, 1/2 cup sugar and 1/3 cup sifted cocoa.
Chill 15 minutes.
Beat until stiff peaks form.
Bring 1/2 cup sugar and 1 Tbsp corn syrup to a simmer over medium heat in a small saucepan.
Cook swirling the pan, not stirring, until the mixture becomes amber, about 4 minutes.
Remove from heat and carefully whisk in 1/2 cup 35% whipping cream and 1 Tbsp unsalted butter until smooth.
Add a pinch to 1/2 tsp flaked sea salt or kosher salt to taste.
Cool a bit for 10-15 minutes.
NOTE: if you don’t want to go to the trouble of making your own caramel, store-bought works great. Just warm in the microwave for 20 seconds and add the salt.