What’s your cupcake personality?
If you choose Hummingbird Cupcakes, your Cupcake Personality is: The Eccentric Nostalgic
The Eccentric Nostalgic: When you are an old, you will be known for your hats – the wilder, the better. You love to collect things – from owl figurines to vintage lunchboxes. Your most treasured possession is your grandmother’s handwritten recipe collection or your grandfather’s pocket watch and your ideal afternoon is spent combing thrift stores with a good friend. You love to laugh.
Hummingbird Cupcake with Lemon Cream Cheese Icing Recipe
Hummingbird Cupcake Recipe
Yield: 24 cupcakes
5 large ripe bananas
2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour 675 mL
1 tsp cinnamon 5 mL
½ tsp nutmeg 2 mL
½ tsp ground ginger 2 mL
1 ¼ tsp baking soda 6 mL
½ tsp salt 2 mL
1 ¾ cup granulated sugar 425 mL
1 cup canola oil 250 mL
1 cup toasted, finely chopped pecans 250 mL
½ cup drained, canned pineapple 125 mL
- Line 2 muffin pans with paper liners. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Place ripe bananas on a foil lined baking pan. Prick skins all over with a fork. Roast bananas for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool. Remove banana skins and mash bananas. Measure out 2 cups (500 mL) of mashed banana.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, baking soda and salt. Mix well. Set aside.
- In large bowl, combine together sugar, canola oil and eggs until mixture is thickened, about 2 – 3 minutes. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Beat until well combined, ingredients, about 1 minute. Mix in mashed banana, chopped pecans and pineapple.
- Divide cupcake batter into the paper lined muffin pans. Bake cupcakes for approximately 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cupcakes comes out clean. Remove cupcakes form pans and let cool on a wire rack.
- Frost with cream cheese icing. Recipe follows.
Lemon Cream Cheese Icing Recipe
1 (8 oz/227 g) pkg cream cheese, room temperature
¼ cup canola margarine 60 mL
3 ½ – 4 cups confectioner’s sugar 875 mL – 1L
1 Tbsp lemon zest 15 mL
1 tsp vanilla extract 5 mL
- In large bowl, beat together the cream cheese and canola margarine until very smooth. Add confectioner’s sugar and beat well.
- Add lemon zest and vanilla and beat to combine ingredients. Adjust confectioner’s sugar or milk quantities if necessary.