Grilling season is FINALLY here!
When warm weather hits there’s nothing better than a meal made on the grill that you enjoy while relaxing on your patio.
One of the keys to making delicious and nutritious meals on the grill is a magnificent marinade.
Marinades infuse the food you’re grilling with flavour and, when made with an oil base (hello canola oil!), they help keep meat, poultry and fish stay juicy during grilling.
Canola oil is ideal for marinating, here’s why:
- Canola oil’s neutral taste allows the marinade-seasoning flavors such as garlic, mustard, herbs, and lemon to shine!
- It’s a healthy, budget-friendly choice (win-win!). Canola oil is a good source of plant-based omega-3 fats (heart-healthy fats) for pennies per serving.
- Unlike other oils, canola oil won’t solidify in the fridge. That means you can flip your food around easily while it’s marinating so it all gets covered in the marinade flavours.
- Canola oil’s high smoke point 468°F (242°C) makes it ideal for grilling. The smoke point is the temperature at which the oil will begin to smoke or burn.
Fire up the grill! I’m showcasing Grilled Fusion Salmon which has a fantastic marinade on TV this month and I’m loving it for so many reasons: it’s nutritious, delicious, and easy!
- It’s nutritious! Salmon is one of the richest sources of heart health omega-3 fats – two servings of fatty fish a week is recommended for heart health. Canola oil provides omega-3’s in plant-based format too.
- It’s tasty! The ginger, garlic and chili sauce in the marinade give the salmon a kick, while the fruit salsa compliments the flavours perfectly.
- It’s easy! There are basically three steps: one, make your marinade and marinate the salmon; two, grill the salmon; and three, make a fruity salsa.
The fourth and final step: Devour!
Hope your grilling season is a scrumptious one.
Eat Well… Shannon
Shannon Crocker, MSc RD PHEc is a food-loving registered dietitian and professional home economist with over 20 years of experience in nutrition communications. A skilled nutrition writer, recipe creator, enthusiastic spokesperson and engaging presenter and facilitator, Shannon promotes nourishing foods for energy and best health. You can connect with Shannon on Instagram @shannoncrocker.rd or at her website www.shannoncrocker.ca