- 3 Tbsp canola oil (45 mL)
- 1 onion, diced (1)
- 1 garlic, minced (1)
- 1 tsp red chili flakes (5 mL)
- 8 cups Roma tomatoes, seeded, chopped (2L)
- 1 tsp salt (5 mL)
- 1/4 tsp granulated sugar (1 mL)
- 3 Tbsp fresh oregano, chopped (45 mL)
- 3 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped (45 mL)
- pepper to taste
- Heat canola oil in a saucepan over medium high heat. Saute onions in canola oil until softened. Add garlic and red pepper flakes. Add tomatoes and simmer with lid on for 20 minutes.
- Remove lid, stir and simmer for 15 minutes. Add salt, sugar, oregano and basil. Stir to combine. Season with pepper to taste and serve.
Tip: If you are in a hurry substitute fresh tomatoes with two 28 ounce/798 mL cans of low sodium diced tomatoes.
Arrabiata Pasta Sauce
The key to a great sauce is layering flavours, and it all starts with canola oil in a sizzling pan. With high heat tolerance and a neutral taste, canola oil is the perfect first ingredient. Recipe courtesy of our partners at CanolaInfo.
- 8 people
- Serving Size
- 1/2 cup
- Total Fat
- 6 g
- Saturated Fat
- 0 g
- 0 mg
- 300 mg
- 11 g
- 3 g
- 2 g