1 Tbsp canola oil (15 mL)
3 leeks, washed well, thinly sliced (white and light green parts only) (3)
4 garlic cloves, pressed or minced (4)
1 lb asparagus, trimmed, cut into 1” pieces (450 g)
1 bunch or package of watercress or substitute with baby spinach (113 g)
6 cups no-salt added vegetable broth (1.5 L)
Juice of 1 lime (1)
1/2 tsp salt (2 mL)
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (0.5 mL)
4 tsp crème fraiche or sour cream (20 mL)
*Save a few asparagus tops and watercress leaves for garnish
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat canola oil over med-high heat. Add leeks and sauté for 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add asparagus and watercress and sauté for 5-7 minutes until asparagus becomes tender and watercress wilts.
- Add vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer with lid on for 10 minutes.
- In a high speed blender, or using an immersion blender, blend soup until uniform in colour and texture and completely puréed.
- Add lime juice, salt and cayenne pepper, mix thoroughly.
- Divide soup evenly into 4 bowls. Top with 1 tsp (5 mL) of crème fraiche and garnish with tips of asparagus and watercress leaves.
Asparagus, Watercress & Leek Soup
This impressive soup will leave your friends asking where you took culinary classes. The smooth texture and subtle asparagus flavour are brought to life by the addition of lime, and cayenne pepper for just the right amount of bite. Add a dollop of crème fraiche before serving to wow your guests taste buds.
- Total Fat
- 6 g
- Saturated Fat
- 1.5 g
- 7 mg
- 296 mg
- 14.4 g
- 4.5 g
- 4.9 g
- 5.8 g
- 568 mg