2 tsp instant yeast (10 mL)
1/3 cup granulated sugar (75 mL)
1 cup whole-wheat flour (250 mL)
1 cup all-purpose flour (250 mL)
1 tsp salt (5 mL)
1 3/4 cup warm water (425 mL)
2 eggs (2)
1/2 cup canola oil (125 mL)
3 cups additional flour (750 mL)
extra canola oil for covering dough
- In a large bowl, combine yeast, sugar, flours and salt.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture. Add warm water, eggs and canola oil. Mix well. Then add additional flour in increments, up to 3 cups, and enough to form a soft dough. Knead dough for about 7 – 8 minutes.
- Cover dough and let rest for 10-15 minutes in a warm place.
- Punch down dough and knead again for a few minutes. Rub dough down with a light layer of canola oil. Cover and let rest until time to form buns.
- Divide dough into 18 equal pieces and form into buns. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Cover buns with light coating of canola oil.
- Cover and let rise until double in size.
- Bake buns at 350°F (190°C) for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
Aunt Mary’s Buns
I love family gatherings because someone always brings homemade buns. Why not be that person this year! Try our Aunt Mary's Bun recipe, and be sure to spread some canola oil margarine over them when they're fresh from the oven!
- 18 people
- Serving Size
- 1 bun
- Total Fat
- 7.9 g
- Saturated Fat
- 0.8 g
- 21 mg
- 139 mg
- 30 g
- 1.6 g
- 3.7 g
- 5.5 g
- 62 mg