2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (625 mL)
1/2 tsp salt (2 mL)
1/2 tsp baking powder (2 mL)
2/3 cup canola oil, chilled in freezer for 2 hours (150 mL)
1/2 cup ice water (125 mL)
1 egg, beaten slightly (1)
1 Tbsp vinegar (15 mL)
4 oz goat cheese (112 g)
1 green apple, cored and thinly sliced (1)
1 small beet, peeled and thinly sliced (1)
1/8 tsp pepper
1-2 Tbsp fresh oregano leaves (15-30 mL)
1 Tbsp canola oil (15 mL)
- In a food processor, add flour, salt, and baking powder. Pulse once or twice to combine ingredients.
- Add cold/frozen canola oil. Pulse again once or twice.
- Combine water, egg and vinegar in a small bowl.
- With food processor running, pour liquid ingredients through the chute. Turn off machine as soon as ingredients are mixed, about 10 seconds.
- Turn dough out onto floured board. Divide dough in half. Roll out dough on floured surface.
- Use immediately or wrap each dough ball in plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Select a 3 inch (7 cm) cookie cutter and cut 12 pastry ‘cookies’. Place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Pierce pastry all over with a fork.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Crumble half of the goat cheese onto each of the 12 pastry ‘cookies’. Layer each with 1 or 2 slices of the apple and beet. Top with remaining cheese. Sprinkle with pepper to taste. Then sprinkle with oregano and drizzle with canola oil.
- Bake pastries for 15-17 minutes or until pastry is golden brown. Serve hot or at room temperature.
Beet and Green Apple Tarts
Wow your guests with these simple, yet gorgeous beet and green apple tarts that are almost too pretty to eat! Top with tangy goat cheese and fresh oregano leaves for mouth-watering flavour in each bite.
- Serving Size
- 1 tart
- Total Fat
- 16.1 g
- Saturated Fat
- 2.5 g
- 20 mg
- 146 mg
- 22.6 g
- 1.4 g
- 1.8 g
- 5.8 g
- 57 mg