2 Tbsp canola oil (30 mL)
2 cups sliced shitake mushrooms (stems removed and discarded) (500 mL)
4 1/4" (11 cm) slices ginger (4)
1/4 tsp dried chili flakes (1 mL)
4 green onions sliced thinly (4)
3/4 cup bamboo shoots (175 mL)
1 cup diced firm tofu (250 mL)
8 cups chicken stock (if using boxed, use reduced sodium) (2 L)
1/4 cup soy sauce (60 mL)
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar (60 mL)
1 Tbsp sambal oelek (15 mL)
1 Tbsp cornstarch (15 mL)
2 eggs, lightly beaten (1)
1 Tbsp sesame oil (15 mL)
- Heat the canola oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, ginger, chili flakes, the white portion of the green onions and cook, stirring occasionally until the mushrooms just begin to colour slightly.
- Add the bamboo shoots, diced tofu and chicken stock and bring the soup up to a boil. Turn the heat down to medium-low and simmer uncovered for 10min. Remove the ginger and discard. Stir in the soy sauce, vinegar and sambal oelek.
- Mix the cornstarch together with 3 Tbsp (45 mL) cold water and stir it into the soup. Simmer for another 2 minutes, then turn the heat off.
- Pour the beaten eggs in a thin stream into the soup while stirring constantly. Then add the sesame oil.
- Ladle soup into bowls and garnish generously with green onions.
Taste and adjust the seasoning to your preference, adding more soy for increased saltiness, more vinegar for increased sour or more sambal olek for increased heat.
Use vegetable broth for a vegetarian version
Better-Than-Take-Out Hot and Sour Soup
This hot and sour soup tastes just like take-out and is incredibly easy to make. Filled with hearty mushrooms, tofu and silky strands of egg, it is sure to leave you satisfied and wanting more. Recipe courtesy of Chef Andrea Buckett.
- 4 people
- Total Fat
- 16.5 g
- Saturated Fat
- 2.5 g
- 97 mg
- 1789 mg
- 21.5 g
- 3.3 g
- 5 g
- 17.1 g
- 1060 mg