1 medium butternut squash (1)
1 onion (1)
1 Tbsp canola oil (15 mL)
¾ cup light sour cream (175 mL)
1/2 tsp salt (2 mL)
1/4 tsp pepper (1 mL)
1 cup water (250 mL)
16 oz short pasta (penne, farfalle, fusilli, etc) (450g)
6 slices bacon, cooked & crumbled (6)
½ cup chopped chives or green onions (125 mL)
½ cup freshly shaved Parmesan cheese (125 mL)
- Preheat oven to 400° F (200° C).
- Peel and cube butternut squash into 1” (2.5 cm) cubes.
- Cut onion into eight pieces.
- Place butternut squash and onion pieces on large baking sheet. Drizzle evenly with canola oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss gently to coat evenly. Arrange vegetables in single layer and bake 30 to 40 minutes until tender.
- Remove from heat and let stand to cool slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in large pot of boiling water until just tender by following package directions. Drain, reserving 1 cup of pasta water. Return drained pasta to pot.
- In a food processor, add cooled butternut squash, sour cream, salt, pepper and water. Puree until smooth.
- Pour butternut sauce into pot with pasta. Add bacon and chives (reserve a few as garnish). Mix gently, add reserved pasta water as needed. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Serve immediately with freshly shaved Parmesan cheese and a sprinkling of chives and bacon as garnish.
Butternut Pasta Sauce with Bacon and Chives
Looking to add more veggies? This butternut pasta sauce adds flavour, depth and colour and don’t forget about health to your pasta dish! Roasting the squash gives it a richness that takes this dish from good to great. Try it for a change for your weekend night pasta night. Serve with a tossed green salad for a tasty, satisfying meal.
- Serving Size
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL)
- Total Fat
- 10.1 g
- Saturated Fat
- 3.2 g
- 21 mg
- 410 mg
- 72.8 g
- 5 g
- 7.6 g
- 17.2 g
- 599 mg