4 cups all-purpose flour (1 L)
2 tsp ground cinnamon (10 mL)
1 tsp salt (5 mL)
1 cup canola oil (250 mL)
2/3 cup cold water (150 mL)
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar (30 mL)
5 cups large granny smith apples (about 4 apples), peeled, cored and thinly sliced (1.25 L)
1/2 cup golden raisins (125 mL)
1/2 cup brown sugar (125 mL)
3 Tbsp cornstarch (45 mL)
2 tsp vanilla extract (10 mL)
1 tsp ground ginger (5 mL)
1 tsp cinnamon (5 mL)
1/2 tsp salt (2 mL)
1 large egg, beaten (1)
1 tsp water (5 mL)
2 tsp granulated sugar (10 mL)
- To a large bowl add flour, cinnamon and salt and mix thoroughly. Add canola oil, and mix with hands until evenly combined, with a texture like wet sand.
- In a small bowl, combine cold water and vinegar.
- Make a well in centre of flour mixture. Add water and vinegar to well, and with fingertips, gently incorporate flour inward until dough just comes together. Do not overwork. Wrap with plastic and place in fridge for at least one hour or overnight.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and let sit for five minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF (190°C)
- Divide chilled pastry in two. Transfer to well-floured surface and roll out each piece to be slightly larger in diameter than 9 inch (22 cm) pie dish.
- Carefully lay base pastry into pie dish. Stir apple filling well and spoon into base pastry.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg and water. Brush egg wash onto rim of pastry base and lay second rolled out pastry on top. Trim excess pastry around edges and crimp to seal. Cut a vent hole in center of top pastry. Use excess pastry to garnish top, if desired.
- Brush top of pie with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake until golden brown, about 45-50 minutes.
Roll out pastry when it is chilled, right from the fridge, to make it easier to work with.
To transfer pastry to a pie dish like an expert, gently roll pastry around rolling pin before transferring, and unroll into pie dish.
For quicker apple prep, peel apples, cut into quarters, cut out core, then cut each quarter into six thin slices.
Canola Pastry Spiced Apple Pie
Using apple pie spices in both the pastry and the filling will add a double layer of flavour and aroma to this fall favourite.
- 8 people
- Serving Size
- 1 slice
- Total Fat
- 28.6 g
- Saturated Fat
- 2.4 g
- 24 mg
- 426 mg
- 87.6 g
- 5.5 g
- 30.3 g
- 7 g
- 288 mg