1/2 tsp granulated sugar (2 mL)
1 1/2 cups warm water (375 mL)
2 1/4 tsp traditional active dry yeast or 1 pkg (11 mL)
1 large clove garlic, minced (1)
3 Tbsp canola oil (45 mL)
1/2 tsp salt (2 mL)
2 cups shredded old cheddar cheese (500 mL)
4 cups all-purpose flour, divided (1 L)
Optional Garlic Topping
2 Tbsp canola oil (30 mL)
1 Tbsp fresh parsley, minced (15 mL)
1 clove garlic, minced (1)
- In a large mixing bowl, dissolve sugar in warm water and sprinkle with yeast. Let stand for about 10 minutes or until frothy.
- Whisk in garlic, oil and salt. Stir in cheese, 3 1/2 (875 mL) cups of the flour, mixing until a ragged dough forms. Turn out onto a floured work surface and knead dough for about 5 minutes or until smooth and no longer sticky and elastic, adding remaining flour as needed. Place in oiled bowl, cover and let rise in a warm place for about 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Punch down dough and turn out onto a floured surface. Divide dough into 24 even pieces. With your hands, roll each piece into a 6-inch (15 cm) long rope. Tie each rope into a knot and place about 1 inch (2 cm) apart on the prepared baking sheet. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Bake knots for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown and sound hollow when tapped on bottom.
Garlic Topping (Optional)
- In a small bowl, combine oil, parsley and garlic. Brush over hot knots and let stand for at least 10 minutes before serving.
Storage Tip: Cover knots lightly with plastic wrap and store at room temperature for up to 1 day. Store in an airtight container once cooled and freeze for up to 2 weeks. Let thaw completely and warm in 350 ºF (180 °C) oven for about 5 minutes to serve.
TIP: You want your garlic to be completely dry and the cloves to look plump and firm. Make sure the skin is plentiful and papery.
These soft little bundles are as fun to make as they are to eat! Young cooks will love helping to make these by tying the dough in knots.
- Serving Size
- 1 knot
- Total Fat
- 5.7 g
- Saturated Fat
- 2.2 g
- 10 mg
- 65 mg
- 16.4 g
- 0.6 g
- 0.2 g
- 5.3 g
- 75 mg