- 1 Tbsp canola oil (15 mL)
- 1 onion, chopped (1)
- 1 lb raw ground chicken or turkey (500 g)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced (4)
- 1 Tbsp chilli powder (15 mL)
- 1 tsp cumin (5 mL)
- 1/4 cup tomato paste (60 mL)
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley or cilantro (30 mL)
- 4 cups no-salt-added or reduced sodium chicken broth (1 L)
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped (1)
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped (1)
- 3/4 cup medium salsa (175 mL)
- 2 small whole wheat flour tortillas (2)
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper (1 mL)
- canola oil cooking spray
- 1/2 cup reduced fat cheddar cheese (125 mL)
1. In saucepan, heat canola oil over medium heat and cook onion, chicken, garlic, chilli powder and cumin for about 8 minutes or until onion is softened and chicken is no longer pink and starting to brown.
2. Stir in tomato paste and parsley until coated. Add broth, peppers and salsa; bring to a simmer. Cook for about 10 minutes or until peppers are tender but firm.
3. Preheat oven to 400 °F (200 °C).
4. Meanwhile, using kitchen scissors, cut tortillas into ½-inch (1-cm) strips. Spray strips with canola oil cooking spray and sprinkle with pepper. Place on parchment paper-lined baking sheet and bake for about 5 minutes or until golden and crisp.
5. Ladle soup in bowls and sprinkle with cheese and tortilla strips.
Chicken Enchilada Soup
This simple soup will be a hit with kids! It’s chock full of flavour and chicken with crunchy tortillas – perfect for a weeknight meal. Recipe courtesy of CanolaInfo.
- 8 people
- Serving Size
- 1 cup (250 mL)
- Total Fat
- 8 g
- Saturated Fat
- 2 g
- 50 mg
- 260 mg
- 16 g
- 2 g
- 4. 3 g
- 15 g
- 522 mg