2 medium yellow potatoes, peeled, cooked and mashed (2)
2 Tbsp canola oil (30 mL)
1 small onion, finely chopped (1)
1 ½ cups shredded old Cheddar cheese (375 mL)
¼ tsp salt (1 mL)
¼ tsp pepper (1 mL)
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour (625 mL)
¼ tsp salt (1 mL)
1 egg, beaten (1)
1 cup low-fat sour cream (250 mL)
3 Tbsp canola oil (45 mL)
- Cook potatoes and set aside.
- In a small frying pan, heat canola oil over medium heat. Add onions to the pan and cook for about 5 minutes, or until onions have softened.
- Add to potato, along with shredded cheese and salt and pepper. Mix to combine ingredients. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together egg, sour cream and canola oil until well mixed.
- Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients. Gently mix ingredients together. Before ingredients are completely mixed, transfer to a lightly floured work surface. Knead ingredients 7 or 8 times to form a soft ball. Do not over-work the dough or it will be tough.
- Divide the dough in half. Roll out each half of the dough to 1/8 “ (.5 cm) thickness. Cut the dough with a 3” (8 cm) round cutter.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place about 1 Tbsp (15 mL) filling on each round. Lightly moisten edge of half of the round with water and fold over filling. Pinch edges together to seal. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- Place pierogies on parchment paper while preparing them. Keep covered with a slightly moist towel until ready to cook.
- Cook pierogies in boiling salted water, in batches. Stir gently until pierogies float, about 2-3 minutes. Do not over-cook or dough will be tough.
Classic Cheddar Cheese and Onion Pierogies
This classic potato and cheese filling is definitely a fan favourite. Top with golden fried onions and a dollop of sour cream to be the winner of dinner. And don't be surprised when they ask for seconds!
- 40 Pieces
- Serving Size
- per pierogi (including dough)
- makes 40
- Total Fat
- 3.8 g
- Saturated Fat
- 1.2 g
- 10 mg
- 72 mg
- 8.7 g
- 0.5 g
- 0.8 g
- 3.1 g
- 83 mg