4 medium russet potatoes, scrubbed and rinsed under cold water (4)
4-5 cups canola oil (1 - 1.25 L)
- Cut potatoes lengthwise into 3/8 inch (10 mm) thick fries (precision not essential). Transfer cut potatoes to a large bowl and rinse with cold water until water is clear. Strain, transfer to a clean dish towel and pat dry. (This step will prevent potatoes from sticking together while cooking).
- Transfer cut potatoes to a deep cast iron pan, dutch oven, or large stainless steel saucepan. Pour oil over potatoes until they are completely covered.
- Place pot on burner and set to high heat. Bring oil to a boil while gently stirring potatoes with a metal spoon or tongs to prevent sticking. When a full rolling boil is achieved, reduce heat to medium-high. Cook potatoes while continuing to stir every few minutes until they are a deep golden brown colour, about 15 minutes.
- Remove fries with a wire skimmer and transfer to a paper towel lined pan. Season and serve immediately.
Sprinkle with salt, or salt mixed with a favourite dried herb.
Add a couple of rosemary sprigs to oil during the last few minutes of cooking. Sprinkle fried rosemary leaves over fries and serve immediately.
* Do not try this method with other potatoes, such as sweet potatoes; they will not be crisp and will get more soggy as they cool.
Cold Fry Fries
This easy at-home method results in the most crispy and delicious fries. You would never know they didn’t come from a famous chip truck!
- 4 people
- Serving Size
- 1/4 of recipe
- Total Fat
- 52.2 g
- Saturated Fat
- 3.9 g
- 0 mg
- 11 mg
- 38.5 g
- 2.8 g
- 1.3 g
- 4.6 g
- 888 mg