- 1 cup whole-wheat flour (250 mL)
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour (150 mL)
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar (375 mL)
- 2/3 cup natural cocoa powder (150 mL)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda (7 mL)
- 1/4 cup canola oil (60 mL)
- 1 cup chocolate soy beverage (250 mL)
- 2 tsp lemon juice (10 mL)
- 1 omega-3 egg (1)
- 1-4.5 oz jar baby food strained prunes (128 mL)
- 1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp non-hydrogenated canola margarine (30 mL)
- 1 oz unsweetened chocolate (25 g)
- 6 Tbsp chocolate soy beverage (90 mL)
- 2 1/2 cups icing sugar (650 mL)
- 1/3 cup natural cocoa powder (75 mL)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line 24 muffin cups with parchment paper muffin liners.
- In a large bowl mix together the whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, white sugar, cocoa powder, and the baking soda.
- Add the canola oil, chocolate soy beverage, lemon juice, egg, strained baby food prunes and the pure vanilla extract.
- Using a hand held mixer (or use a wooden spoon) beat the ingredients together for 1 minute, scraping the bowl often.
- Turn the speed up to medium or beat like your life depended on it and mix for 2 minutes.
- Pour into prepared muffin cups and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes then remove from the pans and continue cooling.
- Prepare icing. Put the margarine, unsweetened chocolate and chocolate soy beverage in a microwave able dish. Heat on medium-low for 1 minute. Stir. Repeat until almost melted. Stir until totally melted. The key is to underdo it. Scorched chocolate is ruined chocolate. And in some countries it’s considered a sin. Or melt over the stove.
- Pour the melted chocolate into a medium bowl, don’t lick this- it’s unsweetened. Add the icing sugar and cocoa powder and beat till smooth. If it is too thick add a little bit of chocolate soy beverage until you reach the desired thickness. Lick beaters if desired.
- Ice cooled cupcakes. Lick bowl. They can now be eaten immediately or the next day; tomorrow it will taste better. Your choice.
Don’t Forget to Leave Room for Chocolate Cupcakes
Don’t tell anyone this kid friendly chocolate cupcake is healthy! The secret is in the addition of chocolate soy beverage and prunes, no one will know the difference and they’ll love it. This cupcake was a runner up in the 2013 Ontario Home Economists Association Baking contest. Submitted by professional home economist and cookbook author Mairlyn Smith.