2 lb flank steak (1 kg)
1/2 cup light soy sauce (125 mL)
1/3 cup fresh lime juice (75 mL)
3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar (45 mL)
2 Tbsp granulated sugar (30 mL)
2 Tbsp canola oil, divided (30 mL)
1 tsp garlic powder (5 mL)
1/2 tsp dried pepper flakes (2 mL)
1. Place beef in a large, resealable plastic bag and set aside.
2. In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, lime juice, vinegar, sugar, 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil, garlic powder, and pepper flakes. Whisk until well blended. Reserve half of mixture (about 1/2 cup/125 mL) and pour the remaining half over the beef and seal bag; toss back and forth to coat beef. Refrigerate overnight or up to 48 hours, if desired, turning occasionally.
3. Remove beef from marinade; discard marinade. Heat remaining 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook beef 5–6 minutes on each side or until very pink in center. (Do not overcook or it will be tough.) Place on a cutting board and let stand 5 minutes.
4. Pour reserved marinade into the pan residue in skillet. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook 3 minutes or until reduced to 1/4 cup (60 mL), scraping bottom and sides of skillet. (The sauce consistency will be very thick.)
5. Cook Once Eat Twice: Reserve half of the sauce (about 2 Tbsp/30 mL) and half of the beef in separate containers for Citrus Beef on Zucchini Ribbons. Cool and refrigerate.
6. To serve, thinly slice remaining beef against the grain and drizzle with remaining sauce (about 2 Tbsp/30 mL).
- Serving Size
- 3 oz (90 g) cooked beef and 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) sauce
- Total Fat
- 5 g
- Saturated Fat
- 1.5 g
- 35 mg
- 180 mg
- 3 g
- 0 g
- 2 g
- 13 g
- 204 mg