2 medium yellow onions sliced into very thin rounds (2)
1 cup 1% milk (250 mL)
1 cup all-purpose flour (250 mL)
1/4 tsp salt (1 mL)
4 cups canola oil (1 L)
- In a shallow dish, add onions and cover with milk. Soak for 5 minutes.
- In a heavy bottomed pot over medium-high heat, add canola oil. Using a thermometer, heat oil to 375℉ (190℃).
- In a large bowl, add flour. Strain onions. Using a pair of sturdy tongs, transfer 1/4 of the onions to the flour and toss until well coated.
- Before transferring onions to the hot oil, shake off any excess flour.
- Cook in oil for 60-90 seconds, until onions are evenly and lightly browned.
- Transfer to a paper towel-lined baking sheet and sprinkle generously with salt while hot.
- Repeat process until all onions are fried.
Looking for that extra something to add your meal? Try these French-fried onions to add pizzazz to your favourite burger, sandwich, salad or side dish! They make an excellent garnish and can elevate mashed root veggies to the next level. Check out French-Fried Onions with Parsnip and Potato Mash. Recipe courtesy of How to Eat.
- Total Fat
- 3.9 g
- Saturated Fat
- 0.4 g
- 0 mg
- 156 mg
- 7.1 g
- 0.5 g
- 1.7 g
- 1.5 g
- 57 mg