2 Tbsp canola oil (30 mL)
6 medium onions, thinly sliced (6)
2 cloves garlic, minced (2)
½ tsp salt (2 mL)
1/8 tsp black pepper (.5 mL)
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour (30 mL)
1/2 cup red wine (125 mL)
6 cups beef or vegetable stock (1.5 L)
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce (5 mL)
2 bay leaves (2)
3 sprigs fresh thyme (3)
125 g Gruyere cheese, shredded (4 oz)
6 slices French bread (6)
- In a large pot, heat canola oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and garlic. Reduce heat to medium-low. Sauté, stirring frequently until onions are soft (approximately 15 minutes).
- Remove lid, season with salt and pepper; stir occasionally until onions turn a caramelized golden brown colour (about 30-35 minutes). Add a touch of water if the onions begin to stick to the pan.
- Sprinkle onions with flour; stir well and continue to sauté for 1 minute.
- Deglaze pan with red wine, scraping up browned bits. Add broth, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaves and thyme. Simmer for 20 minutes on low heat.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as desired with salt and pepper.
- Preheat broiler for 5 minutes. Toast bread slices under broiler until golden brown; set aside.
- Place six ovenproof soup bowls on baking sheet. Ladle soup into bowls. Top with toast slices. Sprinkle cheese evenly over top.
- Place tray of bowls under broiler. Broil on low for about 3-4 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and golden.
- Carefully remove hot tray from oven, serve and enjoy.
Don’t have ovenproof serving bowls? No problem. Place slices of French bread on baking sheet, top with shredded cheese and broil on low for 2-3 minutes until cheese is bubbly and golden. Ladle soup into bowls. Top each bowl with slice of hot, cheese toast. Serve and enjoy.
French Onion Soup
Combine your favourite soup stock with rich, tender caramelized onions and top with a thick slice of toasted French bread. Cover with golden Gruyere cheese and bake to make this one of your all-time favourite soups.
- Serving Size
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL)
- Total Fat
- 8.8 g
- Saturated Fat
- 2.4 g
- 11 mg
- 562 mg
- 40.3 g
- 3.8 g
- 9.6 g
- 11.1 g
- 409 mg