- 1 cup sorghum flour (250 mL)
- 1/2 cup amaranth flour (125 mL)
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch (60 mL)
- 1 1/2 tsp zanthan gum (7 mL)
- 2 tsp GF baking powder (10 mL)
- 1 tsp salt (5 mL)
- 1 1/4 cup mashed banana (300 mL)
- 1 tsp lemon juice (5 mL)
- 3 Tbsp canola oil (45 mL)
- 2 eggs (2 )
- 1/4 cup liquid honey (60 mL)
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips (175 mL)
- In a large bowl, stir together sorghum flour, amaranth flour, tapioca starch, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, using an electric mixer, beat banana, lemon juice, canola oil, eggs and honey until combined. Add dry ingredients and mix just until combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Spoon the batter evenly into each 12 cup of muffin tin that is lightly greased. Let stand for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Bake for 22 to 24 minutes, or until firm to the touch. Remove from pan immediately and let cool completely on a rack.
Approximately 3 bananas will yield 1 1/4 cups (300 mL) of mashed banana. Do not add extra.
Any size of chocolate chips can be used from mini-chips to chunks. We prefer to use half mini chips and half regular size ones.
Substitute coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans for half of the chocolate chips.
To make into a loaf, spoon batter into lightly greased 9 x 5 x 3 inch (22 x 12.5 x 7.5 cm) loaf pan. Let stand for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
Bake for 55 to 65 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in pan on a rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool completely on rack.
Gluten Free Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
These muffins cater to the child in all of us. All you need to add is a tall glass of cold milk.