4 cups kale, chopped (1 L)
1 cup Brussels sprouts, washed, trimmed, and halved (250 mL)
1 small beet, washed, peeled and finely diced (1)
1 small sweet potato, washed, peeled, and finely diced (1)
1 Tbsp canola oil (15 mL)
1/4 cup amaranth seeds, rinsed and drained (60 mL)
1/4 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained well (60 mL)
1 Tbsp + 1 tsp almonds, whole (20 mL)
1 Tbsp + 1 tsp cashews, whole (20 mL)
2 figs, sliced (2)
1 avocado, sliced (1)
Green Goddess Dressing
½ cup canola oil (125 mL)
1 Tbsp + 1 tsp lemon juice (20 mL)
1 tsp Dijon mustard (5 mL)
1/4 cup crème fraiche or plain Greek yogurt (60 mL)
2 tsp garlic minced (10 mL)
1/4 cup chopped herbs (chives, tarragon, parsley, mint, cilantro) (60 mL)
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- On a parchment-lined baking sheet, toss Brussels sprouts, sweet potato and beets with canola oil and distribute evenly. Tip: Keep beets separated to one side of the pan as they will leach out colour.
- Roast vegetables for 30 minutes or until tender.
- Set aside and allow to completely cool.
- Bring ¾ cup water (175 mL) to a boil in a pot. Add ¼ cup amaranth (60 mL). Cover, reduce heat and simmer until water is absorbed, about 10-20 minutes. Makes about 1/2 cup (125 mL).
- Measure out ¼ cooked amaranth and set aside. Store the rest in an air-tight container and keep in fridge for up to 3 days. Add to salads throughout the week.
- In a glass jar or small bowl, combine canola oil, lemon juice and Dijon mustard, and mix together until well combined.
- Add in crème fraiche and garlic, mixing until well combined.
- Gently add in mixed herbs and fold into the rest of the mixture.
- In a large bowl, marinate kale with green goddess dressing and set aside.
- in a small frying pan, roast almonds and cashews over medium-high heat until lightly fragrant and lightly browned.
- Add in the remaining ingredients with kale and toss together.
- Divide ingredients equally among four bowls and serve immediately.
Green Goddess Power Bowl
This colourful and hearty vegetable bowl boasts a cornucopia of flavour and nutrients. The figs provide a sweet touch while the pan-toasted cashews and almonds give this green bowl lots of crunch. For extra colour, try cooking the amaranth in beet juice. Recipe provided by Chef Alexandra Feswick.
- 4 people
- Serving Size
- 1 bowl
- Total Fat
- 48 g
- Saturated Fat
- 6.8 g
- 0 mg
- 135 mg
- 40.7 g
- 14 g
- 12.5 g
- 11.3 g
- 1294 mg