1 2/3 cups warm water (400 mL)
5 tsp sugar (25 mL)
4 tsp traditional active dry yeast (20 mL)
4 cups all-purpose flour (1 L)
1 Tbsp salt (15 mL)
1/4 cup canola oil + 1 Tbsp, divided (60 mL + 15 mL)
2 Tbsp cornmeal (30 mL)
1/2 tsp dried chili flakes (2 mL)
1/2 tsp coarse salt (2 mL)
2 tsp dried oregano (can substitute fresh chopped rosemary or thyme) (10 mL)
- In a large mixing bowl, dissolve sugar in warm water. Add yeast to water and let stand for about 10 minutes or until frothy.
- Stir in 3 ½ (875 mL) cups of the flour, salt and 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil. Turn onto a floured surface and knead dough for about 5 minutes or until smooth. Add remaining 1/2 cup (125 mL) flour as needed. Place in an oiled bowl, cover and let rise for about 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
- After the rise, punch dough down, cover and let rise again for 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Lightly oil a small baking sheet (10” x 15”) (25 cm x 38 cm) and sprinkle the bottom evenly with cornmeal. Place the dough into the prepared pan. Using your fingertips, push the dough into all corners of the pan. With a slightly wet fingertip, push dimples into the top of the dough.
- Brush dough with remaining 1/4 cup (60 mL) canola oil, sprinkle with chili flakes, coarse salt and dried oregano.
- Let dough rise in pan, uncovered for 20 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF (190ºC).
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
This tender and delicious bread gets its wonderful flavour and texture from canola oil. Perfectly satisfying on its own also makes wonderful sandwiches, or paired with your favourite spreads, charcuterie and cheeses!
- 12 people
- Total Fat
- 7.1 g
- Saturated Fat
- 0.6 g
- 0 mg
- 647 mg
- 36 g
- 1.5 g
- 2.1 g
- 6.3 g
- 74 mg