3 Tbsp canola oil (45 mL)
1 tsp cumin seeds (5 mL)
2 medium onions, diced (2)
2 garlic cloves, minced (2)
1 Tbsp fresh gingerroot, minced (15 mL)
2 Thai green chilles, minced (2)
½ tsp Kashmiri chilli powder (2 mL)*
½ tsp turmeric (2 mL)
½ tsp salt (2 mL)
5-6 Roma tomatoes, diced (about 3-4 cups)
1-19 oz can no-salt added chickpeas, drained and rinsed (540 mL)
1 cup water (250 mL)
1-350 g block of paneer, cut into 1/2” cubes (2 cm) (1)
1 tsp garam masala (5 mL)
½ cup fresh coriander (cilantro), chopped (125 mL)
*Note: If you do not have Kashmiri chilli powder, substitute with paprika and add a sprinkle of cayenne pepper
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Once hot, add canola oil. Add cumin seeds and toast in oil for 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Add onions, sauté for 6-7 minutes, or until lightly golden brown. Add garlic, ginger, and green chillies and continue to cook for 1 minute.
- Add chilli powder, turmeric, and salt, cook for 1 minute. Add tomatoes and water, cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Once tomatoes have cooked down to a thickened puree, add chickpeas and cook in sauce or 5-10 minutes. Add paneer, stir to coat and cook for another 2 minutes. Add garam masala, mix to combine.
- Garnish with fresh coriander. Serve with rice or naan bread.
Indian-Style Chickpeas and Paneer
Perfect as a side dish or all on its own, this fragrant dish pairs perfectly with basmati or naan bread. Pro tip: Garam Masala is added last as a finishing spice.
- Total Fat
- 24.4 g
- Saturated Fat
- 15 g
- 48 mg
- 193 mg
- 47.8 g
- 6.5 g
- 11 g
- 21.7 g
- 284 mg