1- 350 g block of extra firm tofu, chopped into ½" (1 cm) pieces (1)
3 Tbsp canola oil (45 mL)
½ tsp whole cumin seed (2 mL)
1 medium sized onion (1)
1 Tbsp ginger, minced (15 mL)
¼ tsp salt (1 mL)
¼ tsp chilli (or more as tolerated) (1 mL)
½ tsp black pepper (2 mL)
1 tsp turmeric (5 mL)
3 bell peppers, diced in 1 inch (2.5 cm) pieces (use yellow, green and red) (3)
1 ¼ cup no salt added, crushed canned tomatoes (310 mL)
1 tsp sugar (5 mL)
½ cup water (125 mL)
¼ tsp ground cumin (preferably toasted) (1 mL)
2 Tbsp fenugreek *optional (30 mL)
- In a large wok-style pan over medium heat, add canola oil. Once heated, add in cumin seeds and toast until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Be careful not to burn them!
- Add in onion. Once translucent, about 5 – 6 minutes, add in ginger and peppers.
- Add in spices: salt, chilli, black pepper and turmeric.
- Cook for another 5 minutes until peppers are slightly tender but still crunchy.
- Pour in crushed tomatoes, sugar and water, stirring to combine.
- Add ¼ tsp (1 mL) ground cumin and 2 Tbsp (30 mL) fenugreek.
- Turn heat to a low simmer. Add in your cubed tofu, stir gently and be careful not to over mix. Cover your pan and simmer on a low temperature for 10 – 12 minutes allowing flavours to combine.
- Serve with roti, naan or rice.
TIP: Best served with a side of plain yogurt.
Indian-Style Chilli Tofu
This easy weeknight meal is a great way to shake up your usual dinner routine. Herbaceous and with a touch of kick, this dish uses tofu in place of paneer as a heart-healthy alternative. Serve with yogurt, naan or rice for a complete meal. Recipe courtesy of Carrots and Cake.
- 4 people
- Total Fat
- 14.9 g
- Saturated Fat
- 1.5 g
- 0 mg
- 278 mg
- 20 g
- 4.5 g
- 11.8 g
- 10 g
- 686 mg