20 oz of skinless, boneless chicken thighs/legs (560 g)
2 cloves of minced garlic (2)
2 Tbsp chopped ginger root (30 mL)
3 Tbsp mirin (45 mL)
3 Tbsp of chopped fresh cilantro (45 mL)
1 tsp salt (5 mL)
1 tsp white pepper (5 mL)
1 cup potato or cornstarch (250 mL)
1/3 cup kewpie (Japanese mayonnaise) (75 mL)
½ tsp togarashi spice (2 mL)
4 cups canola oil (1L)
salt and white pepper
- Cut chicken into 1 inch (2.5 cm) cubes. In a mixing bowl, add in garlic, ginger, mirin cilantro, salt and pepper. Mix ingredients together, cover and leave in fridge overnight to marinate.
- In a large saucepan, add canola oil and heat to high on stove top. Using a frying thermometer allow oil to reach 375°F (190°C).
- Dredge marinated chicken pieces in potato starch. In colander, shake excess dredge.
- Add coated chicken into hot oil and allow to cook approximately 10-12 minutes until golden brown. Probe chicken to minimum internal temperature of 355°F (180°C).
- Remove chicken, drain and toss in a bowl with a healthy pinch mixture of white pepper and salt.
- In a small bow, mix kewpie and togarshi spice together. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Serve hot with a side of togarashi dusted kewpie for dipping.
Japanese-Style Karaage (Popcorn Chicken)
Japanese inspired, this dish delivers a dropkick to the tastebuds! The lively combination of white pepper and togarashi chili spice turns up the heat while kewpie mayo rounds out the flavour. Marinate overnight for maximum flavour! Recipe courtesy of Chef Trevor Lui.
- Total Fat
- 41.5 g
- Saturated Fat
- 5.1 g
- 157 mg
- 1536 mg
- 42.2 g
- 0.4 g
- 6.5 g
- 31.2 g
- 780 mg