2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (625 mL)
1/2 tsp salt (2 mL)
1/2 tsp baking powder (2 mL)
2 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves (30 mL)
2/3 cup canola oil, chilled in freezer for 2 hours* see note below (150 mL)
1/2 cup ice water (125 mL)
1 egg, beaten slightly (1)
1 Tbsp vinegar (15 mL)
3 large apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced (3)
2 pears, peeled, cored and sliced (2)
Juice and zest of 1 lemon (1)
2/3 cup sugar (150 mL)
¼ cup flour (60 mL)
¼ tsp salt (1 mL)
1 tsp freshly grated ginger (5 mL)
1 ½ tsp fresh thyme leaves (7 mL)
1 Tbsp lemon zest (15 mL)
- In a food processor, add flour, salt, baking powder and thyme leaves. Pulse once or twice to combine ingredients.
- Add cold/frozen canola oil*. Pulse again once or twice.
- Combine water, egg and vinegar in a small bowl.
- With food processor running, slowly pour liquid ingredients through the chute. Turn off machine as soon as ingredients are mixed, about 10 seconds.
- Turn dough out onto floured board. Divide dough in half. Wrap one half of the dough in plastic wrap.Roll out the second half the dough on a floured surface, and fit it into a 9 inch (23 cm) pie plate. Trim edge of pie plate. Refrigerate pie plate and the other half of the dough while preparing the filling.
*canola oil can be frozen overnight.
- Place apple and pear slices in large bowl. Toss lightly with 2 Tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice.
- Combine sugar, flour and salt in a medium bowl. Mix well.
- Add ginger, thyme and lemon zest and toss to combine.
- Add flour mixture to the fruit mixture and toss ingredients to coat the fruit with flour mixture.
- Transfer mixture to pastry lined pie plate.
- Roll out the second half of the dough on floured board and place over fruit mixture. Seal edges of the pastry. Using a sharp knife, cut small slits in the top crust to allow steam to escape.
- Bake pie at 400°F (200°C) for 35 – 40 minutes.
Lemon and Thyme-Scented Apple and Pear Pie
Perfect with seasonal fruit this aromatic and delicious pie will be eaten up before you know it! As always, thoroughly chill your Canola oil for perfect flaky crust results. And savour the thyme scent and lemon flavour of this year-round treat.
- Serving Size
- 1 slice
- Total Fat
- 19.6 g
- Saturated Fat
- 1.7 g
- 24 mg
- 210 mg
- 67.5 g
- 3.6 g
- 30.3 g
- 6.6 g
- 188 mg