- 1/4 cup rice flour (50 mL)
- 3/4 cup cornstarch (175 mL)
- 3 Tbsp tapioca starch (45 mL)
- 1 tsp xanthan gum (5 mL)
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar (50 mL)
- 1 pinch salt (1 )
- 1/3 cup canola oil (75 mL)
- 1 egg (1 )
- 4 eggs (4 )
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar (375 mL)
- 2 Tbsp lemon zest (25 mL)
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (125 mL)
- 1/4 cup cornstarch (50 mL)
- 1 tsp GF baking powder (5 mL)
- In a food processor fitted with a metal blade, pulse rice flour, cornstarch, tapioca starch, xanthan gum, brown sugar and salt. Whisk together canola oil and egg. With food processor running, add egg mixture through feed tube in a slow, steady stream. Process until mixture resembles coarse crumbs about 5 to 10 seconds.
- Press evenly into bottom of 9 x 9 inch (22 x 22 cm) square pan, lightly greased and lined with parchment paper. Bake in an oven preheated to 350º F (180º C) for 12 to 15 minutes or until set. Meanwhile prepare Topping.
- In a bowl, using electric mixer, beat together eggs, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, cornstarch and baking powder until blended. Pour over the hot base. Reduce oven temperature to 325º F (160º C). Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until light golden in color and firm to the touch. Cool in the pan on a cooling rack. Cut into squares.
Lotsa’ Lemon Squares
Gluten-free lemon squares are so good you probably can’t stop at one. The rich lemon filling combined with a golden crust make these a delectable little treat. Freezes well so you’ll want to add it to your list for holiday baking.
- 3 dozen