- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (325 mL)
- 3/4 tsp salt (4 mL)
- 2/3 cup canola oil, chilled in freezer for 2 hours or overnight (150 mL)
- 1/4 cup ice water (60 mL)
- 1 Tbsp cider vinegar (15 mL)
- 1 Tbsp unflavoured gelatin (15 mL)
- 1/3 cup boiling water (75 mL)
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar (150 mL)
- 1/3 cup cocoa (75 mL)
- 1/4 cup cornstarch (60 mL)
- 1/4 tsp salt (1 mL)
- 3 cups 1% milk (750 mL)
- 100g milk chocolate, broken up ( I use Lindt Milk Chocolate Bar)
- 1/3 cup Nutella (75 mL)
- 1 tsp vanilla (5 mL)
- 1 cup heavy cream (250 mL)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar (60 mL)
- 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch (7 mL)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla (1 mL)
- 1/3 cup hazelnuts, toasted and chopped (75 mL)
Tip: Freeze canola oil until it’s opaque and congealed but still somewhat soft, like the consistency of slightly melted sorbet. If it’s over-frozen, that’s ok, just let it thaw a bit so that you can work with it.
- Whisk together the flour and salt. Cut in canola oil using pastry blender or two forks until crumbs and pieces of about 1/2” appear.
- Mix water with vinegar, add by tablespoon until it begins to form a soft dry ball – do not over mix.
- Turn dough out onto floured board and bring dough together. Divide in half. Use immediately or wrap each dough ball in plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use. Makes two 9 inch (22 cm) crusts, so freeze one for another time.
- Preheat oven to 425ºF (220ºC) . Roll out one half of the pie crust dough and lay into a 9 inch (22 cm) pie plate. Press into sides and turn under and create fluted edge. Prick shell many times with a fork. Blind bake on lower rack 12-15 minutes. Remove and allow to cool.
- In a small bowl combine gelatin and boiling water, stirring until dissolved. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan whisk together sugar, cocoa, cornstarch and salt. Gradually add milk, whisking until smooth. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and comes to a boil, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in milk chocolate, Nutella, reserved gelatin and vanilla. When melted and smooth, pour into baked pie shell. Press a sheet of plastic wrap against the entire surface. Refrigerate until very well chilled and set, at least 4 hours but preferably overnight.
- To make whipped cream top, whip all ingredients with a mixer until stiff peaks form. Spread over pie. Top with a dusting of cocoa and chopped hazelnuts.
Milk Chocolate Nutella Cream Pie
When you add in the creaminess of Lindt milk chocolate, and the hazelnut yumminess of Nutella, you create this magical flavour you can only experience – there are no words to describe it! The crust is extra flaky from adding the moist goodness of canola oil. Freeze canola oil for 2 hours so it acts like a solid fat, but still has the heart-healthy canola oil benefits! Recipe courtesy of EatInEatOut.
- 12 people
- Serving Size
- 1 slice
- Total Fat
- 21.7 g
- Saturated Fat
- 6.6 g
- 11 mg
- 237 mg
- 54.5 g
- 2.6 g
- 27.9 g
- 8.4 g
- 262 mg