2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (625 mL)
1/2 tsp salt (2 mL)
1/2 tsp baking powder (2 mL)
2/3 cup canola oil, chilled in freezer for 2 hours* see note below (150 mL)
1/2 cup ice water (125 mL)
1 egg, beaten slightly (1)
1 Tbsp vinegar (15 mL)
2 Tbsp canola oil (30 mL)
2 large shallots, diced (2)
1 large clove garlic, minced (1)
1 – 200 g pkg button mushrooms, thinly sliced (1)
1 – 200 g pkg Shitake mushrooms, sliced (1)
1 – 5 oz pkg baby spinach (142 g)
1 cup cooked lentils (250 mL)
2 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves (30 mL)
½ tsp salt (2 mL)
½ tsp pepper (2 mL)
1 cup ricotta cheese (250 mL)
1 cup grated Swiss cheese (250 mL)
- In a food processor, add flour, salt, and baking powder. Pulse once or twice to combine ingredients.
- Add cold/frozen canola oil*. Pulse again once or twice.
- Combine water, egg and vinegar in a small bowl.
- With food processor running, slowly pour liquid ingredients through the chute. Turn off machine as soon as ingredients are mixed, about 10 seconds.
- Turn dough out onto floured board. Divide dough in half. Roll out dough on floured surface.
- Use immediately or wrap each dough ball in plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use.
*Canola oil can be frozen overnight.
- Pour canola oil into a large non-stick frying pan. Sauté shallots for 1 – 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds longer. Add sliced mushrooms, sauté until the mushrooms are cooked and there is very little moisture left in the pan.
- Add spinach, sauté until the spinach leaves have cooked down, about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in lentils, thyme, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, roll pastry into a 16×10 inch (40×25 cm) rectangle. Place on large baking sheet. Fold over the pastry edges by about ½ inch (2 cm) on all 4 sides. Dock pastry all over with a fork.
- Bake at 400°F (200°C) for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and spread ricotta cheese over bottom of the crust. Top with mushroom mixture and spread to cover pastry surface.
- Sprinkle Swiss cheese over all.
- Bake at 400°F (200°C) for about 10 minutes longer.
Mushroom Lentil and Spinach Tart
Perfect for vegetarians and meat-eaters alike, mushrooms and lentils are the ultimate meat replacement. Adding cheese and spinach rounds out earthy flavours and provides an irresistible treat.
- Serving Size
- 1 piece
- Total Fat
- 10.4 g
- Saturated Fat
- 4.4 g
- 23 mg
- 179 mg
- 11.7 g
- 2.3 g
- 2.5 g
- 12.2 g
- 439 mg