- 3/4 cup canola oil (175 mL)
- 2 tsp blue tempera paint powder (10 mL)
- 16 oz clear, empty plastic soda bottle with a cap (500 mL)
- 1 disposable or metal bowl
- 1 funnel
- Mix canola oil and tempera paint powder in a small disposable or metal bowl. Let the mixture sit for about 10 minutes so any un dissolved tempera paint settles at the bottom of the bowl.
- Using the funnel, slowly pour the oil mixture into the plastic soda bottle, making sure you do not pour the powder at the bottom of the bowl into the bottle.
- After you have pour the oil mixture into the bottle, pour water into the bottle until it is full. Screw on the cap on tightly. Now you can slowly tilt the bottle left and right. Watch the waves crash against the sides of the bottle.
Try adding glitter or food colouring to create a new look!
Note: Tempera paint powder can stain, so it is best to use disposable bowls and cutlery.
Ocean in a Bottle
Here's a cool new science experiment to try with the kids! Ocean in a Bottle is the perfect way to show the relationship between canola oil and water - they don't mix! Get creative and add food colouring and sparkles.