2 Tbsp canola oil (30 mL)
1 lb Italian sausage (500 g)
1 cooking onion, sliced (1)
3 cloves garlic, minced (3)
1 can (28 oz/796 mL) diced tomatoes with juice
2 cups low-sodium beef broth (500 mL)
1 cup 2% milk (250 mL)
2 coloured peppers, sliced (2)
1 tsp dried oregano (5 mL)
1/2 tsp pepper (2 mL)
1 lb penne pasta (500g)
2 cups shredded mozzarella (500 mL)
- Preheat oven to broil setting.
- In a large oven-safe pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat, on the stovetop, heat canola oil.
- Squeeze the sausage out of its casing into little meatballs directly into the pot. Turn frequently and cook for 5 minutes or until meatballs are browned on all sides.
- Add onion and garlic, and cook for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add tomatoes, broth, milk, green pepper, oregano and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Add pasta to pot, stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 15 – 18 minutes. Stir every 5 minutes to keep the pasta submerged and from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Once the pasta is tender, remove from heat and spread mozzarella evenly over top. Place the pot uncovered under the broiler on the middle rack until the top is bubbly and golden. Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
TIP: Pick peppers that feel heavy for their size.
TIP: Peppers are so versatile! They can be used in stir-fries, salads, frittatas, stuffed, roasted or fresh. The options are endless!
One-Pot Sausage and Pepper Pasta
Sticking to the ratio of 1 lb of pasta (roughly 500 g) to 3 cups liquid (750 mL) and 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) of tomatoes, turns this one pot dinner recipe into a choose-your-own-adventure that can be created over and over with your family’s favourite proteins, veggies and pasta shapes.
- 6 people
- Total Fat
- 34.9 g
- Saturated Fat
- 12.9 g
- 92 mg
- 1259 mg
- 79 g
- 3.7 g
- 13.3 g
- 37.2 g
- 947 mg