2 small onions, diced
2 Tbsp canola oil
1/4 tsp salt
10 oz package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1 multigrain baguette, cut into cubes (6 cups/1.5 L)
9 eggs (9)
2 cups 1% milk (500 mL)
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard (15 mL)
1/2 tsp salt (2 mL)
1/4 tsp pepper (1 mL)
1 cup grated old cheddar cheese (250 mL)
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese (125 mL)
- Heat canola oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and add onion. Sauté for about 5 minutes until soft. Add 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt and the spinach, stir to combine. Remove pan from heat.
- Spray a 9 x 13″ (23 x 33cm) baking dish with canola oil cooking spray and evenly distribute bread cubes along the bottom of the dish.
- Evenly spread spinach mixture on top of bread then sprinkle both cheeses on top.
- In a large bowl, whisk together; eggs, milk, mustard, salt and pepper.
- Pour egg mixture over bread and press down lightly with spatula to make sure all the bread is soaking.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge overnight (8-24 hours).
- Within 24 hours, preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Remove plastic wrap and bake for 40-45 minutes until golden brown and cooked through. Serve immediately.
Overnight Spinach and Cheese Strata
This overnight strata is the perfect dish to serve at your next family brunch or dinner. With two kinds of cheese, it is sure to be a crowd pleaser. Recipe courtesy of How to Eat.
- 8 servings
- Total Fat
- 20.3 g
- Saturated Fat
- 6.6 g
- 238 mg
- 782 mg
- 33.7 g
- 3.2 g
- 3.8 g
- 18.4 g
- 287 mg