Shrimp, Vegetable and Sweet Chilli Filling
- 2 oz very thin rice noodles (57 g)
- 1 cup finely chopped green cabbage (250 mL)
- 1/2 cup grated carrots (125 mL)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onions (125 mL)
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped bean sprouts (125 mL)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red pepper (60 mL)
- 1/2 lb cooked shrimp, chopped (250 g)
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce (15 mL)
- 2 tsp sweet chilli sauce (10 mL)
- 2 Tbsp canola oil (30 mL)
- In a medium-sized pot over high heat, cook rice noodles for 2 – 3 minutes in boiling water, until tender. Cool under running cold water. Chop coarsely.
- In medium bowl, combine all ingredients, including rice, and mix well.
Prepare spring rolls using shrimp mixture and phyllo pastry.
- Remove phyllo pastry from package, being careful to keep it covered while preparing the spring rolls. Lay each phyllo sheet on counter (longest side parallel to counter edge) and cut in half, perpendicular to counter edge. Brush each piece with canola oil. Place about 3 Tbsp (45 mL) filling along edges closest to counter edge and roll up pastry, folding in the outer edges. Brush remaining edge with canola oil to secure seam.
- Place seam side down on baking sheet. Repeat with remaining spring rolls. Brush each finished egg roll with a bit of canola oil and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake at 350°F (180°C) for 15 – 20 minutes, or until nicely browned.
* Vegetarian version can be made by replacing shrimp with 1 cup (more) chopped vegetables and/or rice noodles.
* While rolling the filling into the phyllo pastry, place 1 cilantro leaf in the final inch of the roll, encasing it in the pastry, for a decorative effect.
Phyllo Pastry Spring Rolls with Shrimp, Vegetables and Sweet Chilli Sauce
These light and crispy rolls are great for dinner parties, holiday parties and potlucks alike. Combine with our sweet chilli dip for a complete appetizer. Chef tip: double the batch and freeze half. Cook from frozen until filling is warmed throughout and pastry is golden brown.