3 cups of cooked jasmine rice (day-old preferred) (750 mL)
1/3 cup of peas (75 mL)
1/3 cup chopped red onions (75 mL)
1/3 cup of chopped green onions (75 mL)
1/4 cup of fresh cubed pineapple (60 mL)
1/2 cored pineapple cut lengthwise, top intact (125 mL)
3/4 cup of diced leftover glazed cooked ham (175 mL)
1 egg (1)
6 Tbsp of canola oil (90 mL), divided
1/4 tsp of salt (1 mL)
black pepper to taste
3 sprigs of cilantro (3)
1 side ramekin chilli oil of choice (1)
- To prepare pineapple, cut a full pineapple lengthwise, keeping the pineapple crown intact.
- With paring knife, remove pineapple fruit from one pineapple half and cut in cubes. Set aside.
- Wipe and pat dry carved out pineapple half. Reserve the other half for another use.
Cooking Rice and Finishing:
- In a non-stick pan over medium-high heat, add 3 Tbsp (45 mL) canola oil. Once oil is hot, add egg and scramble. Remove from pan once cooked. Chop egg and set aside.
- In a wok or deep pan, heat remaining 3 Tbsp (45 mL) of canola oil over medium-high heat. Add peas, red and green onion, and pineapple and cook until translucent.
- Add diced cooked ham to vegetable mixture and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add cooked rice, fold constantly and stir ensuring rice does not stick to wok. Sprinkle a few dashes of water into rice to hydrate and loosen clumping.
- Add chopped egg to wok, fold in and mix. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove when cooked thoroughly and to desired hot temperature.
- Transfer to prepared pineapple half. Garnish with cilantro and serve with chilli oil.
Pineapple Fried Rice
Pineapple adds a lovely sweet flavour to this delightful dish. Chili oil provides a kick while cilantro gives this a wonderful fresh flavour. Prepare the rice a day ahead to keep the rice grains in tact while frying. Sub cilantro for parsley if desired. Recipe courtesy of Chef Trevor Lui.
- Serving Size
- Half Pineapple
- 2 as Main Course
- Total Fat
- 50.2 g
- Saturated Fat
- 5.5 g
- 127 mg
- 818 mg
- 80.3 g
- 3.1 g
- 4.7 g
- 23.3 g
- 427 mg