1 Tbsp canola oil (15 mL)
2 cups all-purpose flour (500 mL)
2/3 cup granulated sugar (175 mL)
2 tsp baking powder (10 mL)
1 tsp ground cinnamon (5 mL)
1/2 tsp salt (2 mL)
2 eggs (2)
1 cup 1% milk (250 mL)
1/3 cup canola oil (75 mL)
1 tsp vanilla extract (5 mL)
zest of orange (1)*
2 large red plums, thinly sliced (2)
¼ cup candied ginger, minced (60 mL)
2 Tbsp coarse granulated sugar (30 mL)
*You could juice the orange and freeze for a later use such as in a salad dressing.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Oil a 12″ (30.5 cm) cast iron skillet using 1 Tbsp canola oil and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In another large bowl whisk together eggs, milk, canola oil, vanilla and orange zest.
- Slowly combine wet ingredients with dry ingredients, stirring to achieve even consistency. Once mixed, fold in candied ginger.
- Gently pour batter into prepared skillet. Even out batter with the back of a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Arrange plum slices in a spiral design to cover entire top of cake. Sprinkle top with coarse sugar.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, until top is slightly golden and a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
Plum Skillet Cake
Perfect with afternoon tea, this skillet cake is as easy as it is tasty. Both light and simple, toss your favourite plum variety on top and sprinkle with cane sugar to add a layer of sugary crusty sweetness.
- Serving Size
- 1 slice
- Total Fat
- 9.7 g
- Saturated Fat
- 1.1 g
- 33 mg
- 242 mg
- 36.2 g
- 1 g
- 19 g
- 4.5 g
- 134 mg