- 2 large eggs, room temperature (2)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar (250 mL)
- ⅔ cup canola oil (150 mL)
- 2 tsp vanilla (10 mL)
- ¾ cup whole-wheat flour (175 mL)
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour (175 mL)
- ½ cup poppy seeds (125 mL)
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder (7 mL)
- ¾ teaspoon fine sea salt (4 mL)
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature (125 mL)
- zest from one orange, finely grated
- zest from one lemon, finely grated
- 3 cups sifted icing sugar (750 mL)
- 2 Tbsp fresh orange juice (30 mL)
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice (15 mL)
- generous pinch fine sea salt
- poppy seeds for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350° F (180°C). Line a 9 x 13-inch (23 x 33 cm) pan with parchment so it overhangs the edges for easy removal.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle or in a large bowl using an electric mixer, beat the eggs on medium speed until well blended. Gradually beat in the brown sugar until well combined. Add the canola oil and vanilla and beat for 1 to 2 minutes or until light.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, poppy seeds, baking powder and salt. Using a spoon or stand mixer set on low, stir the flour mixture into the egg mixture.
- Spread the batter in the baking pan, making sure it’s level. The batter will not be deep. Bake 15 to 18 minutes or until the edges are golden and the middle springs back when lightly touched. Leave the base to cool on a wire rack. When cool, remove the base using the overhang from the parchment.
- In bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle, beat the butter, orange zest, and lemon zest until pale and fluffy.
- Reduce the speed to low and gradually blend in the icing sugar, orange juice, lemon juice and salt.
- Increase the speed to high and beat 3 to 5 minutes or until light and airy.
- Spread the icing over the surface of the cooled base.
- Sprinkle with poppy seeds. Slice and serve.
Poppy Seed Bars with Citrus Icing
Topped with lemon and orange citrus icing this poppy seed bar is a delicious addition to any spread of sweets. Bake it for the holidays, showers, brunch, or just because. Recipe courtesy of The Messy Baker.
- 24 people
- Serving Size
- 1 bar
- Total Fat
- 11.9 g
- Saturated Fat
- 3.3 g
- 27 mg
- 112 mg
- 29.4 g
- 1.1 g
- 22.7 g
- 2.6 g
- 62 mg