2 cups all-purpose flour (500 mL)
1/2 cup cornmeal (125 mL)
1 Tbsp baking powder (15 mL)
1/2 tsp salt (2 mL)
1 cup cold mashed potatoes (see tip) (250 mL)
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (125 mL)
3 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley or basil (45 mL)
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup canola oil (125 mL)
2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 400ºF (200ºC). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt.
- In a medium bowl, using a fork, mash together potatoes, cheese, parsley and garlic. Add to flour mixture and stir in until crumbly.
- In a small bowl, whisk together canola oil and eggs. Drizzle over flour mixture and toss to combine using a fork, until blended. Gather dough with your hands. Place dough on lightly-floured surface and gently knead dough together. Pat dough into a 1 inch (2.5 cm) thick round. Cut into 8 wedges and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden.
Sweet Potato Variation: Substitute mashed cooked sweet potato for the potato. You may need a bit more flour when kneading together.
Use your favourite cheese like asiago, Colby or spiced havarti or gouda for the cheddar.
If you have any cooked bacon around, be sure to chop it up and add about 1/2 cup (125 mL) to the mix.
TIP: Use plain mashed potatoes for this recipe. Peel and cube 2 potatoes (about 8 oz/250 g) and boil in a pot of water for about 20 minutes or until tender. Drain well and mash. Let cool completely before using. You can freeze the potatoes and be ready to make these anytime. Simply thaw completely before using.
Potato Cheese Cornmeal Scones
Cornmeal adds a wonderful golden colour and slight crunch to these savoury scones. Perfect to enjoy for anytime of the day but especially nice with soups and stews!
- Serving Size
- 1 scone
- Total Fat
- 19.6 g
- Saturated Fat
- 3.2 g
- 54 mg
- 389 mg
- 35.9 g
- 1.8 g
- 0.6 g
- 8.5 g
- 163 mg