- 1 cup all purpose flour (250 mL)
- 2 tsp fast rise yeast (10 mL)
- 1 tsp salt (5 mL)
- 1 tsp curry powder (5 mL)
- 1 tsp onion powder (5 mL)
- 1 cup warm tap water (250 mL)
- 2 Tbsp canola oil (30 mL)
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups bread flour (375-500 mL)
- 3 Tbsp canola oil (45 mL)
- 1 large potato, sliced thinly (1 )
- 1 large onion, sliced thinly (1 )
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 )
- 1/2 tsp curry powder (2 mL)
- Preheat oven to 400ºF/200ºC.
- Combine 1 cup flour, yeast, salt, curry powder and onion powder in mixing bowl. Using dough hook attachment on mixer, combine ingredients. Add water and canola oil. Continue to mix, adding additional flour until soft dough forms.
- Knead dough for 6 – 7 minutes. Let dough rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Roll out dough to a 9 x 13” (23 x 33cm) rectangle. Place in well-oiled baking pan and let rise for 30-40 minutes till doubled in size.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat canola oil.
- Add potato slices, onions, garlic and curry powder. Cook until potatoes are done. Layer cooked vegetables over dough and drizzle any remaining oil from the saucepan on top.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes until golden in colour and dough is cooked.
Potato Curry Focaccia
Focaccia is a flat oven-baked bread which is typically topped with oil, herbs and other ingredients. It is similar in style and texture to pizza but not the same. Focaccia bread is a great side dish and can go well with any season from fall soups to winter stews and summer BBQ’s. This recipe uses canola oil as a heart healthy fat and its mild taste really lets the curry flavours shine through with the richness of the onions and potatoes.