- 4 cups diced rhubarb (1 L)
- ¼ cup water (60 mL)
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch (30 mL)
- ½ cup granulated sugar (125 mL)
- ½ tsp cinnamon (2 mL)
- ¼ cup large flake oats (60 mL)
- 1 tsp cinnamon (5 mL)
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour (30 mL)
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar (45 mL)
- 1 Tbsp canola oil (15 mL)
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour (250 mL)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (250 mL)
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder (7 mL)
- ½ tsp baking soda (2 mL)
- ¼ tsp salt (1 mL)
- 1 tsp cinnamon (5 mL)
- ¾ cup granulated sugar (175 mL)
- 1 egg (1)
- 1/3 cup canola oil (75 mL)
- 1 ¼ cup plain yogurt (300 mL)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (5 mL)
- In saucepan, combine rhubarb (thaw and drain if using frozen) and water. Cook over medium high heat until rhubarb is tender (8 to 10 minutes).
- In a small bowl mix cornstarch, sugar and cinnamon. Stir into rhubarb.
- Continue cooking, stirring constantly until mixture boils and thickens.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine oats, cinnamon, flour and brown sugar.
- Add canola oil and stir until well distributed.
- Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Spray a 9 x 13 (23 x33 cm) pan with canola oil.
- In a large bowl, combine flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and sugar.
- In a separate small bowl, lightly beat the egg then add the canola oil, yogurt and vanilla. Mix well.
- Pour liquid mix into dry mix stirring until just combined. Batter will be fairly thick.
- Spoon 2/3 of batter into the prepared pan.
- Top with rhubarb filling.
- Drop remaining batter on top of rhubarb. There will be high and low spots and not all the rhubarb may be covered.
- Sprinkle topping evenly over top of batter and rhubarb spots.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes.
- Cool cake on rack for 30 minutes.
Rhubarb Ribbon Coffee Cake
Say the word coffee cake and most people will instantly form an image in their mind. Most likely it’s a bundt, square or rectangular cake with some sort of streusel or crumbly topping on top. Their image is probably also tied to fond memories of enjoying that cake in the company of friends and family over a good cup of coffee or cold glass of milk. This moist rhubarb ribbon coffee cake with a tangy fruit filling and a cinnamon oat streusel is the perfect recipe to carry on this tradition.
- 18-24 pieces
- Serving Size
- 1 slice
- Total Fat
- 10.4 g
- Saturated Fat
- 1.2 g
- 19 mg
- 159 mg
- 47.2 g
- 2.5 g
- 27.5 g
- 4.5 g
- 294 mg