- 1/4 cup packed golden brown sugar (60 mL)
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour (15 mL)
- 1 tsp cinnamon (5 mL)
- 4 cups Saskatoons or blueberries (1 L)
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour (125 mL)
- 3 Tbsp packed golden brown sugar (45 mL)
- 3 Tbsp canola oil ( 45 mL)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Lightly oil an 8-inch (20 cm) baking pan.
- In a large bowl, combine all of the filling ingredients together and place into the prepared pan.
- In a separate large blow, mix together all of the dry topping ingredients. Add the oil and stir in until the mixture is crumbly, then tip over the prepared filling, gently patting it down.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the berries are cooked and the topping is golden brown. Serve warm or cooled to room temperature.
Saskatoon Berry Crisp
"My home was on a farm in rural Alberta, near Paradise Valley. One of my fondest memories of summer holidays was picking and eating wild Saskatoon berries. Our river pasture had many tall Saskatoon bushes so we often picked them on horseback. When I moved to Ontario, my special Aunt Millie would pick Saskatoons and have a frozen Saskatoon pie ready for me whenever I visited her in Calgary. It was a true labour of love and a wonderful gift to me." ~Linda Reasbeck, PHEc. Recipe reprinted with permission from Homegrown by Mairlyn Smith, PHEc. Photography courtesy of Shel Zolkewich.
- Serving Size
- 3 cups (750 mL)
- Total Fat
- 8 g
- Saturated Fat
- .7 g
- Trans. Fat
- .2 g
- 5 mg
- 41 g
- 6.7 g
- 26 g
- 2.7 g