3 Tbsp canola oil (45 mL)
1 tsp cumin seeds (5 mL)
1 medium onion, diced (1)
4 jalapeno peppers, ribs and seeds removed, minced (4)
4 garlic cloves, minced (4)
½ tsp ground coriander (2 mL)
½ tsp harissa dry spice (2 mL)*
½ tsp salt (2 mL)
1-142 g package baby spinach (1)
1-28 oz can no-salt added diced tomatoes (796mL)
½ cup no-salt-added vegetable broth (125 mL)
6 eggs (6)
1 cup fresh cilantro or parsley, chopped (250 mL)
*Note: If you do not have harissa, substitute for paprika or chilli paste.
**Note: Love cheese? Add crumbled feta or shaved parmesan!
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Once hot, add canola oil. Add cumin seeds and toast in oil for 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Add onion, sauté for 3-4 minutes until softened and slightly transparent. Add jalapenos and cook for another 3-4 minutes. Add garlic, coriander, harissa dry spice, and salt, cook for 1 minute.
- Add spinach, tomatoes (including liquid), and vegetable stock. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil. Once spinach has wilted, about 2-3 minutes, reduce heat to medium. Simmer uncovered for 5-10 minutes to reduce liquid, stir occasionally.
- Gently crack 6 eggs on top of tomato mixture. Cover with lid. For soft yolks cook for approximately 5-6 minutes. Cook eggs longer to desired consistency.
- Garnish shakshuka with fresh cilantro or parsley.
- Portion into bowls (one egg per serving). Serve with crunchy bread for dipping.
This versatile dish is flavour-packed and great for breakfast or any meal of the day. Serve with crusty bread to soak up the tomato goodness!
- Total Fat
- 12.7 g
- Saturated Fat
- 2.1 g
- 193 mg
- 253 mg
- 10 g
- 2.3 g
- 3.7 g
- 8.4 g
- 515 mg