The Flakiest Pie Dough
- 2 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour (625 mL)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt (4 mL)
- 2/3 cup canola oil, chilled in freezer for 2 hours or overnight* (150 mL)
- 1/4 cup ice water (60 mL)
- 1 Tbsp cider vinegar (15 mL)
- 2 cups rhubarb, chopped into ½” pieces (500 mL)
- 2 cups strawberries, sliced (500 mL)
- 1/2 – 2/3 cup granulated sugar (125 mL - 150 mL)
- 3 Tbsp corn starch (45 mL)
- 1/8 tsp salt (0.5 mL)
- ½ cup goat cheese (125 mL)
- freshly cracked black pepper
- ¼ cup milk (60 mL)
- 1 Tbsp Grand Marnier, optional (15 mL)
- granulated sugar
The Flakiest Pie Dough
- Whisk together the flour and salt. Cut in canola oil using pastry blender or two forks until crumbs and pieces of about 1/2” appear.
- Mix water with vinegar, add by tablespoon until it begins to form a soft dry ball – do not overmix.
- Turn dough out onto floured board and bring dough together. Divide in half. Use immediately or wrap each dough ball in plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use. Makes two 9 inch (22 cm) pie crusts
*Freeze until it’s opaque and congealed but still somewhat soft, like the consistency of slightly melted sorbet. If it’s over-frozen, that’s ok, just let it thaw a bit so that you can work with it.
- Roll out one single crust on a floured board a 12 inch (31 cm) circle. Recipe makes enough for two – so freeze one for another time.
- Mix all ingredients, except cheese and pepper, in a large bowl. Pour mixture onto centre of rolled out pastry. Evenly place blobs of goat cheese and sprinkle with cracked pepper. Fold in edges of pastry all around in a circle. Brush with milk mixture and sprinkle with as much sugar as you like.
- Bake at 425ºF (220ºC) for 15 minutes then turn down to 350ºF (180ºC) for 20 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
Strawberry Rhubarb Galette with Goat Cheese and Cracked Pepper
Strawberry and rhubarb are the perfect pair in pie or a free-form galette – sweet and tart – a balance made in heaven! But why stop there? Add in a dollop of goat cheese and fresh cracked pepper and you have created something truly amazing! Recipe and photography courtesy of our partners at EatIn EatOut Magazine.
- Serving Size
- 1 slice
- Total Fat
- 13.7 g
- Saturated Fat
- 2 g
- 3 mg
- 202 mg
- 34.1 g
- 1.8 g
- 10.8 g
- 5.1 g
- 144 mg