10-12 oz of Premium Canadian Beef, Striploin or Flank (280-335 g)
2 Tbsp canola oil (30 mL)
½ tsp salt (2 mL)
½ tsp pepper (2 mL)
Rice & Barley:
½ cup of short grain rice (125 mL)
¼ cup of Canadian barley (60 mL)
¼ cup of brown sweet rice (60 mL)
1 Tbsp of black or purple rice (15 mL)
½ cup of crushed walnuts (125 mL)
1 whole candy cane beet & golden beet, washed (2)
½ cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped (125 mL)
¼ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped (60 mL)
1-2 Bird’s Eye Chillies, finely chopped, seeds removed (1-2)
5 fresh mint Leaves, finely chopped (5)
2 stalks green onions, finely chopped (2)
2 clove garlic, minced (2)
1 whole lime (1)
¼ cup rice wine vinegar (60 mL)
½ cup canola oil (125 mL)
2 Tbsp sesame oil (30 mL)
⅓ tsp of coarse salt (1 mL)
½ tsp ground pepper (2 mL)
½ cup microgreens of choice such as daikon radish (125 mL)
- Season all sides of the beef with salt and pepper.
- In a hot pan, add 2 Tbsp (30 mL) canola oil, place beef in pan and sear all sides until browned. Remove when internal temperature is 130°F (50°C), medium -rare. (Best short cut alternative technique is to sous vide beef at 130°F (50°C) for 90 minutes before searing). Remove beef from pan and let rest for minimum 15 minutes.
Rice & Barley:
- Place all rice in a bowl and under cold water, run grains through your hands and loosely scrub, removing cloudy starch.
- In a pot, add water to just above the rice line, cook rice on medium to high heat, approximately 8 minutes until the top surface begins to bubble. Stir and turnover vigorously.
- Turn heat to low, cover and allow to cook approximately 10 minutes until nicely fluffed, stirring periodically. (Rice cooker or InstantPot is a perfect short cut method to cook rice).
- Place all chimichurri ingredients into a mortar bowl. Squeeze the lime juice into mixture and all other ingredients. With a pestle, begin to pound out the mixture until it is thoroughly hand blended. As an alternative, you can use a processor which creates a much finer mixture.
- Wash whole beets thoroughly, peel if desired or leave skin on. Slice carefully with a mandolin, then chop all beets into thin matchsticks. Once done, place in bowl and mix together.
- On a medium sized plate, scoop some cooked rice onto one side of plate, garnish with crushed walnuts and beet mixture.
- Slice rested beef into thin pieces, butterfly on other side of plate and garnish liberally with chimichurri mixture. Add microgreens to garnish beef.
The New Canadian Beef & Barley
This wonderfully colourful recipe is a great source of fibre and iron. Feel free to cook all rice in the same pot; and go ahead and sous vide the beef if you desire! Plate the dish according to the instructions and wow your guests with your culinary prowess. Recipe courtesy of Chef Trevor Lui.
- Total Fat
- 59.2 g
- Saturated Fat
- 6.7 g
- 35 mg
- 426 mg
- 49.5 g
- 6.3 g
- 3.9 g
- 23.7 g
- 559 mg